Thursday, May 2, 2013

Moving Delirium

Yesterday pushed my limits physically and mentally, and I'm sure the best is yet to come. I have no idea what sort of uppers Peter's parents are on, but they moved their 4,000 square foot home in roughly four days, Peter's sister twice (in Vienna), and then Peter and I...all within about three weeks.

It all started at 7am when we woke up to start casually packing in order to get to the new place by 11am, when the cleaning lady (an adorable Hungarian woman in her 60's) was supposed to come over and clean the dried formula off the floor. She proceeded to bust her butt for 6 hours...which of course made us feel bad, so we helped. $50 later, she was on her way and the in-laws appeared, with a industrial van load of crap. By 9pm everything was in the apartment and I was ready to crash out on the floor. Oh no, Peter is like a seven year old when it comes to new stuff! He HAD to sleep at the new place, meaning we needed to go to the old apartment and load that up too! Button number one; activated.

By 11pm we were out of the old place, which Peter's mom made very clear she liked much better, and we were off again to unload. Midnight quickly approached and everyone was getting irritable, namely the pregnant girl who is 25 pounds heavier than normal, had horrible moving shoes on, and hadn't eaten anything substantial in four hours. Buttons two, three, and four; activated.

They finally left around 12:15, and we attempted to eat, which turned into yet another fiasco.

Peter: "Hey, you want me to heat up some rice my mom brought over?"
Me: "Sure."
Three minutes later...
Peter: "Uh, so the microwave is on fire." (As I see orange flames and start smelling smoke.)
Me: "Uh, you may want to unplug it."
Peter: "Yea, ok. Uh, it's still on fire."
Me: "Maybe try blowing it out."

Crisis averted, rice still cold, and blood pressure exactly the same. (Funny how you react when you have about one calorie of energy to burn.)

Then I proceeded to not sleep because I'm, a) huge, b) my joints are achey, c) it was like 100 degrees in our new luxury apartment with west facing windows, and d) I was hungry and too lazy to get up.

Needless to say, I was a little grumpy this morning, and I am left to unpack. Peter always conveniently gets to fly when things need to be done. I did, however, force him to go to the market this morning and carry four new flowers back to add some color to our otherwise bleak, Ikea furnished flat.

We have 11 more days to:

Get a new a mattress
Figure out where to put our clothes because we have zero storage space
Put a semi-functioning nursery together
Figure out a potential mold issue (before the kid shows up)
Install a walk in freezer for my hot/hormonal butt to rest in so I don't kill Peter
Buy and assemble more furniture
Purchase at least 10 plants in order to filter the smog out of the apartment
Learn how to be parents

I think I need to meditate, do yoga, and drink a very large cocktail. I'm hoping we stay in this place a week or so.








No comments:

Post a Comment