Wednesday, November 9, 2016

My Political Accountability

Another guest appearance by mom???! Wow, she must be upset!!!

___________________________________

The words...

To find the right words.

Half of the United States seems to be in complete shock...and I'm going to venture to say, 99% of the free world...minus Vlad. And I'm already having to answer for all of us. Thanks, folks.  

Challenge accepted.  

To choose...

Cry, or fight?  For those of you that know the story of our plane trip to Lyon, you know, I have the tendency to speak up (sometimes despite my better judgment).  See that story here.

Today, I realized that this madness is partially my fault.  Casting a ballot from 7,000 miles away isn't always enough to be the change you wish to see...or sharing a Facebook article that may or may not be accurate.  But what will I choose to do about it?  I've racked my brain as to how I can help quell this movement of division from continuing.  To be a voice to those who may not have one. I am educated, I am living abroad and have traveled the world, and I do feel I have the obligation to express the dissenting opinion in an eloquent and clear way. 

I usually have a tendency to apologize, which I now realize is totally ridiculous.  Instead, I will accept personal responsibility.  

-I unequivocally plan to start at home. I have been tasked the biggest responsibility of raising two girls, who WILL know their worth and will understand that there are no limits to their potential.  I vow to talk more, hug more (although they already object to my incessant hugging), and teach them that every person should be treated with value because we are ALL THE SAME.

-To listen more, and talk less. I interrupt a lot. I need to be more mindful of that.  It's only when you truly listen can you respond with purpose and lead by example. I want to talk to those who don't think like me...because only then can we truly claim to be openminded and loving. 

-Continue to remove the negativity from my life.  About five years ago, I started purging the people from my life that didn't add anything to it.

And let me tell you, purging has been NICE.  When you surround yourself with positivity and genuine people who lift you up, life never seems that bad.  I have learned that once positivity is something you DEMAND, the universe will deliver.  I have the BEST people in my life...and I am SO grateful for them all...even those who stand for different principles. 

-Read, read, read, and continue to educate myself.

-Refuse to put up with those who don't treat me equally.  I'm not only speaking up for myself anymore.  

I'm not sure how personal I should get here, but I will say that I have faced some pretty awful actions from men, specifically in the work place as a woman owning a plumbing company and other settings. I always shrugged it off as just something that comes along with working in a male dominated field.  This nasty woman is here to stand up for the young girls that take this sort of abuse because they feel as if it's just status quo. I am now a role model to two human beings who will eventually face this world without me. I'll be damned if they aren't strong women.  

The amount of hate I've seen spewed from casual acquaintances on the internet has been slightly disheartening, yet it makes me reflect on the real life friends who believe in love (between humans of either gender), equality (despite skin color), women's rights (my uterus is MINE, aholes) and progression...from all corners of the earth.  

I just watched a video someone posted online gloating that "now the immigrants can be sent home," while in the same breath, encouraged people to "just love one another." You know, that shit people probably hear in church...and just regurgitate...because that's what good Christians say to cover up their bigotry.  But it's not real.  Those words are so empty...are those same people going to fight for their homosexual friends or Hispanic neighbors?? I sure hope so!

Why do these people feel racism is acceptable? Why CAN'T two men or two women marry one another and raise a family?  What do they actually fear?  Because that's what this all comes down to. Fear and this illusion that we are somehow different or better.  

I honestly believe people are good at the core. It's only when they let that fear take over, do they blindly follow...in whatever direction of extremism.  We need to start examining the core cause, not simply treating the symptoms. 

So with that said, and as I watch Hillary graciously speak to her nation of followers, I vow to start with myself. I'm proud that I dragged both my girls to La Poste to cast our vote, that I have the capacity to teach them about TRUE love and acceptance.  Watch out world, these three nasty women (one in particular), may have just gained a new sense of singular purpose.  Proving that love will prevail. There is SO much more work to be done.

And to all of my friends, at home and abroad...

I see you, I love you, and I will defend your right to be EXACTLY who you are...even if you think global warming isn't a thing (although that may take a bit more introspection on my part...but I'm working on it).










No comments:

Post a Comment