Saturday, March 30, 2013

What I miss about the United States

I figured I would write down all the things I miss seeing/doing/eating in the US. These are in no particular order...and I'm really just complaining, which I need to do on occasion.

1. The people! I can't say that Hungarian folks are the most friendly bunch, as evidenced by the crazy looks and mumbling you often hear when going ANYWHERE. Then again, here, every national "holiday" is in remembrance of a failed revolution. I suppose I'd be a jerk too.

People in the US are generally fun, outgoing and would help a stranger if they saw them struggling with something. Ok, maybe I'm just annoyed because in the midst of moving in the snow, a man about 6'2" tall and 220 pounds, completely ignored the fact that I was a pregnant woman struggling to open the door and pull my suitcase into the apartment building.

2. In-n-out/Burger Lounge/Phil's BBQ, etc. We did find a steak place that's phenomenal, although pretty expensive. It's also generally more healthy here in Europe, but who gives a crap about that when you're 8 months pregnant?! I want a damn breakfast burrito!

3. My family and friends...that's a given though. Especially my niece, Riley (who threatened to not be my friend anymore after seeing I posted her picture on my blog).

4. Seeing hot military guys in flight suits driving their open top jeeps. Also a given.

5. Sunshine!!!!!!! Jesus Christ. Not one day of actual warm weather since I got here on February 21st! Thankfully I'm taking Vitamin D supplements to curb the inevitable depression! And no, I don't care about seasons! Snow gets old after about two days when you've grown up in San Diego.

Side note...

Peter is studying for his ATPL and just looked out the window and said, "I want to go to America," in the saddest voice possible. Yea, no kidding!! What I wouldn't do for all you can eat crab right now. Ugh. And it's only 10:45am.

6. Nice offices. Yes, you pay for them through unfathomable insurance premiums, but it's always nice to walk into a doctor's office to see plush chairs and a 100-gallon picturesque fish tank gracing the entrance. Half the time I sit in the chairs here, I'm worried my big butt is going to crack the plastic and hit the concrete floor. No expenses spared!

7. My car. That's 100% my ego talking, but I don't care. It's fast, it looks cool, and I don't have to worry about parking. Here, Peter pays 17,000HUF/month which is roughly $70/month and he has to take the tram back to the apartment, which takes 20 minutes. I used to complain about walking three blocks! Spoiled much?

8. Going to Vegas on a whim. Ok, so I suppose I can go to Prague or Croatia on a whim too...and being married to a corporate pilot has its advantages. If his boss hasn't changed his mind, we'd be going to Tel Aviv this week. Boooo. I guess I shouldn't be traveling anyway.

9. The beach. Even though I didn't go to the beach much, it was nice to drive by it on occasion, and to at least know it was there. I miss Coronado the most. Living there was awesome!

10. Ridiculous characters. Americans are nice, and also have a lot of character! People here just seem depressed and boring (which is curbed in the US by Prozac). Mental illness always leads to more fun, especially in the US where people mix their medication with alcohol.








No comments:

Post a Comment