Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Blessed

Mom HATES the word "blessed." Like, hates, hates it. Ok, before you start judging her cold, dead soul, listen to the explanation...

"Blessed," is being slightly overused in really disingenuous ways.  For example, "you're so blessed  to have such a wonderful life." Ok, no one has ever actually said this...it's all hypothetical. 

And she understands what they mean...but it just doesn't sit well with her. 

"Blessed," in mom's world, assumes that there's some higher power that has granted her a wish from their magic lamp.  Turns out, after some reflection, that mom has had to make some REALLY tough decisions in her life that have all led her to where she currently finds herself.

She CHOSE to marry apu, instead of the hot Coast Guard boat guy (what a disaster that would have been...no offense, boat guy). She CHOSE to deal with some personal issues that have allowed her to form a decent relationship with herself and those around her, and she has CHOSEN to eliminate those who aren't good for cultivating positivity. She's also a raging spiritual atheist who doesn't exactly believe there's some dude in the sky pulling strings and leading people to do certain things...so no need to "pray" for her. 

More along these lines...

BUT, as luck would have it, on the way home from the hospital, a song came on the radio and in mom's moment of weakness (no sleep, no coffee, and no defense mechanisms functioning), she broke down and the tears started to flow....which probably wouldn't have happened if Ke$ha had started singing TikTok (don't click here if you are expecting to hear good music).

Instead....
_____________________________
I get kissed by the sun each morning (when she's in San Diego)
Put my feet on a hardwood floor (a cold hardwood floor)
I get to hear my children laughing (or screaming)
Down the hall through the bedroom door
Sometimes I sit on my front porch swing (or the couch in front of the tv)
Just soaking up the day
I think to myself, I think to myself
This world is a beautiful place (it really freaking is a beautiful place)

I have been blessed (or she is just ridiculously lucky)
And I feel like I've found my way (FINALLY!)
I thank God for all I've been given (or Buddha or Allah, or herself)
At the end of every day (or when she remembers)
I have been blessed
With so much more than I deserve (SO TRUE)
To be here with the ones that love me
To love them so much it hurts (that's an understatement)
I have been blessed

Across a crowded room (or the living room)
I know you know what I'm thinking (usually something totally bizarre and sarcastic)
By the way I look at you
And when we're lying in the quiet (unless Apu is snoring)
And no words have to be said
I think to myself, I think to myself
This love is a beautiful gift (or a curse)

I have been blessed
And I feel like I've found my way (I think)
I thank God for all I've been given (or the Universe)
At the end of every day
I have been blessed
With so much more than I deserve
To be here with the ones that love me
To love them so much it hurts
I have been blessed

When I'm singing my kids to sleep (or telling us a really dumb story because mom is not creative)
When I feel you holding me (or making fun of mom)
I know...

I have been blessed
And I feel like I've found my way
I thank God for all I've been given
At the end of every day
I have been blessed
With so much more than I deserve
To be here with the ones
That love me
To love them so much it hurts
I have been blessed
_______________________________
Here's that video if you're interested.

SOOOOOO...it turns out, maybe she's a little "blessed," or whatever the hell doesn't sound cheesy and annoying. She just feels REALLY lucky that she has some pretty amazing people in her life, gets to travel around and everyone is healthy today...

No comments:

Post a Comment